28 Haziran 2012 Perşembe

Straw-blond

Today I was walking in the old city region of Istanbul and passing a bookstore by. As always I had a quick glance at the books shown and suddenly the face of our famous poet Nazim Hikmet drew my attention. It was a collection of his poems translated into English. I rushed inside to check the book and to look if his best poem "Saman Sarısı" (Straw-blond) is also inside...and the answer is yes! Since previously I had trouble with finding the poem translated into English on internet I decided to buy the book and post it myself. The book is a wonderful collection by the way, absolutely recommended for anyone with English skills. You can find it in Amazon.

So here follows one of the best poems ever from a truly great poet, enjoy!


STRAW-BLOND
                                             to Vera Tulyakova,
                                            with my deep respect    

 
                                                                             I

at dawn the express entered the station unannounced
it was covered with snow
I stood on the platform my coat collar raised
the platform was empty
a sleeper window stopped in front of me
its curtains were parted
a young woman slept in the lower berth in the twilight
her hair straw-blond eyelashes blue
and her full red lips looked spoiled and pouting
I didn’t see who was sleeping in the upper berth
unannounced the express slipped out of the station
I don’t know where it came from or where it was going
I watched it leave
I was sleeping in the upper berth
                                                           in the Bristol Hotel in Warsaw
I hadn’t slept so soundly in years
and yet my bed was wooden and narrow
a young woman slept in another bed
her hair straw—blond eyelashes blue
her white neck long and smooth
she hadn’t slept so soundly in years
and yet her bed was wooden and narrow
time sped on we were nearing midnight
we hadn’t slept so soundly in years
and yet our beds were wooden and narrow
I’m coming down the stairs from the fourth floor
the elevator is out again
inside mirrors I’m coming down the stairs
I could be twenty I could be a hundred
time sped on I was nearing midnight
on the third floor a woman was laughing behind a door
            a sad rose slowly opened in my right hand
I met a Cuban ballerina at the snowy windows on the second floor
she flashed past my forehead like a fresh dark flame
the poet Nicolas Guillen went back to Havana long ago
for years we sat in the hotel lobbies of Europe and Asia
              drinking the loss of our cities drop by drop
two things are forgotten only with death
the face of our mothers and the face of our cities
wood barges swim into the wind early mornings in winter
                like old rowboats that have cut themselves loose
and in the ashes of a brazier
       my big Istanbul wakes up from sleep
two things are forgotten only with death
the doorman saw me off his cloak sinking into the night
I walked into the icy wind and neon
time sped on I was nearing midnight
they came upon me suddenly
it was light as day but no one else saw
a squad of them
they had jackboots pants coats
arms swastikas on their arms
hands automatics in their hands
they had shoulders helmets on their shoulders but no heads
between their shoulders and their helmets nothing
they even had collars and necks but no heads
they were the soldiers whose deaths are not mourned
I walked on
you could see their fear animal fear
I can’t say it showed in their eyes
they didn’t have heads to have eyes
you could see their fear animal fear
it showed in their boots
can boots show fear
theirs did
in their fear they opened fire
they fired nonstop at all buildings all vehicles all living things
at every sound the least movement
they even fired at a poster of blue fish on Chopin Street
but not so much as a piece of plaster fell or a window broke
and no one but me heard the shots
the dead even an SS squad the dead can’t kill
the dead kill by coming back as worms inside the apple
but you could see their fear animal fear
wasn’t this city killed before they were
weren’t the bones of this city broken one by one and its skin flayed
weren’t bookcovers made from its skin soap from its oil rope
   from its hair
but there it was standing before them
like a hot loaf of bread in the icy night wind
time sped on I was nearing midnight
on Belvedere road I thought of the Poles
they dance a heroic mazurka through history
on Belvedere road I thought of the Poles
in this palace they gave me my first and maybe last medal
the master of ceremonies opened the gilded white door
I entered the hall with a young woman
her hair straw—blond eyelashes blue
and no one was there but us two
plus the aquarelles and delicate chairs and sofas like doll furniture
and you became
               a blue-tinted pastel or a porcelain doll
or maybe a spark from my dream landed on my chest
you slept in the lower berth in the twilight
your white neck long and smooth
you hadn’t slept so soundly in years
and here in the Caprice Bar in Cracow
time speeds on we’re nearing midnight
separation was on the table between the colfee cup and my glass
you put it there
it was the water at the bottom of a stone well
I lean over and see
an old man dimly smiling at a cloud
I call out
the echoes of my voice return without you
separation was in the cigarette package on the table
the waiter with glasses brought it but you ordered it
it was smoke curling in your eyes
it was at the end of your cigarette
and in your hand waiting to say goodbye
separation was on the table where you rested your elbow
it was in what went through your mind 
             in what you hid from me and what you didn’t
separation was in your calm
            in your trust in me 
it was in your great fear
to fall in love with someone out of the blue as if your door burst open
actually you love me and don’t know it
separation was in your not knowing 
separation was free of gravity weightless I can’t say like a feather
         even a feather weighs something separation was weightless
         but it was there
time speeds on midnight approaches
we walked in the shadow of medieval walls reaching the stars
time sped backward 
the echoes of our steps returned like scrawny yellow dogs 
they ran behind us and in front
the devil roams Jagiellonian University
digging his nails into the stones
he’s out to sabotage the astrolabe Copernicus got from the Arabs
and in the market place under the Cloth Arcade
he’s with the Catholic students dancing to rock ’n’ roll
time speeds on midnight approaches
the red glow of Nowa Huta lights the clouds
there young workers from the villages cast their souls along with iron
burning into new molds
and casting souls is a thousand times harder than casting iron
the trumpeter who tells the hours in the bell tower of St. Mary’s
    Church
sounded midnight
his call rose out of the Middle Ages
            warned the city of the enemy’s approach
and was cut off by an arrow through the throat
the herald died at peace
and I thought of the pain
of dying before announcing the enemy’s approach
time speeds on midnight recedes
like a ferry landing gone dark
at dawn the express entered the station unannounced
Prague was all rain
it was an inlaid·silver chest at the bottom of a lake
I opened it
inside a young woman slept among glass birds
her hair straw·blond eyelashes blue
she hadn’t slept so soundly in years
I closed the chest and put it on the baggage car
unannounced the express slipped out of the station
arms hanging at my sides I watched it leave
Prague was all rain
you aren’t here
you’re sleeping in the lower berth in the twilight
the upper berth is empty
you aren’t here
one of the world’s most beautiful cities is empty
like a glove pulled off your hand
it went dark like mirrors that no longer see you
the waters of the Vltava disappear under bridges like lost nights
the streets are all empty
in all the windows the curtains are drawn 
the streetcars go by all empty
           they don’t even have conductors or drivers
the coffeehouses are empty
           bars and restaurants too
the store windows are empty
           no cloth no crystal no meat no wine
           not a book not a box of candy not a carnation
and in this loneliness enfolding the city like fog an old man try-
   ing to shake off the sadness of age made ten times worse  by
   loneliness throws bread to the gulls from Legionnaires Bridge
            dipping each piece in the blood  
            of his too-young heart
I want to catch the minutes
the gold dust of their speed stays on my fingers
a woman sleeps in the lower berth in the sleeper 
she hasn’t slept so soundly in years
her hair straw-blond eyelashes blue
her hands candles in silver candlesticks
I can’t see who’s sleeping in the upper berth 
if anyone is sleeping there it isn’t me
maybe the upper berth is empty
maybe Moscow is in the upper berth
fog has settled over Poland
                       over Brest too 
for two days now planes can’t land or take off ,
but the trains come and go they go through hollowed·out eyes
since Berlin I was alone in the compartment
the next morning I woke to sun on snowy fields 
in the dining car I drank a kind of ayran called kefir
the waitress recognized me
she’d seen two of my plays in Moscow
a young woman met me at the station
her waist narrower than an ant’s
her hair straw-blond eyelashes blue
I took her hand and we walked
we walked in the sun cracking the snow
spring came early that year
those days they flew news to the evening star
Moscow was happy I was happy we were happy
suddenly I lost you in Mayakovsky Square I lost you suddenly no
  not suddenly because I first lost the warmth of your hand in
  mine then the soft weight of your hand in my palm and then
  your hand
and separation had set in long ago at the first touch of our fingers
but I still lost you suddenly
on the sea of asphalt I stopped the cars and looked inside no you
the boulevards all under snow
yours not among the footprints
I know your footprints in boots shoes stockings bare
I asked the guards
didn’t you see
if she took off her gloves you couldn’t miss her hands
they’re like candles in silver candlesticks
the guards answered very politely
we didn’t see
a tugboat breasts the current at Seraglio Point in Istanbul
behind it three barges
awk awk the sea gulls go awk awk
I called out to the barges from Red Square I didn’t call to the
  tugboat captain because he wouldn’t have heard me over the
  roar of his engine besides he was tired and his coat had no
  buttons
I called out to the barges from Red Square
we didn’t see
I stood I’m standing in all the lines in all the streets of Moscow
and I’m asking just the women
old women quiet and patient with smiling faces under wool babushkas
young women rosy-cheeked and straight—nosed in green velvet hats
and young girls very clean and firm and elegant too
maybe there are frightful old women weary young women and 
    sloppy girls  
         but who cares about them
women spot beauty before men do and they don’t forget it
didn’t you see
her hair straw-blond eyelashes blue
her black coat has a white collar and big pearl buttons
she got it in Prague 
we didn’t see
I’m racing the minutes now they’re ahead now me
when they’re ahead I’m scared I’ll lose sight
of their disappearing red lights is
when I’m ahead their headlights throw my shadow on the road
   my shadow races ahead of me suddenly I’m afraid I’ll lose
   sight of my shadow
I go into theaters concerts movies
I didn’t try the Bolshoi you don’t like tonight’s opera 
I went into Fisherman’s Bar in Istanbul and sat talking sweetly
   with Sait Faik I was out of prison a month his liver was hurt-
  ing and the world was beautiful
I go into restaurants with brassy orchestras famous bands
I ask gold-braided doormen and aloof tip—loving waiters
hatcheck girls and the neighborhood watchman
we didn’t see
the clock tower of the Strastnoi Monastery rang midnight
actually both tower and monastery were torn down long ago
they’re building the city’s biggest movie house there 
that’s where I met my nineteenth year 
we recognized each other right away 
yet we hadn’t seen each other not even photos 
we still recognized each other right away we weren’t surprised
   we tried to shake hands 
but our hands couldn’t touch forty years of time stood between us 
a North Sea frozen and endless
and it started snowing in Strastnoi now Pushkin Square 
I’m cold especially my hands and feet
yet I have wool socks and fur—lined boots and gloves
he’s the one without socks his feet wrapped in rags inside old
  boots his hands bare
the world is the taste of a green apple in his mouth
the feel of a fourteen-year-old girl’s breasts in his hands
songs go for miles and miles in his eyes death measures a hand’s-span
and he has no idea what all will happen to him
only I know what will happen
because I believed everything he believes
I loved all the women he’ll love
I wrote all the poems he’ll write
I stayed in all the prisons he’ll stay in
I passed through all the cities he will visit
I suffered all his illnesses
I slept all his nights dreamed all his dreams
I lost all that he will lose
her hair straw-blond eyelashes blue
her black coat has a white collar and big pearl buttons
I didn’t see

II

my nineteenth year crosses Beyazit Square comes out on Red Square
and goes down to Concorde I meet Abidin and we talk squares
the day before yesterday Gagarin circled the biggest square of all
  and returned
Titov too will go around and come back seventeen—and-a-half
  times even but I don’t know about it yet
I talk spaces and shapes with Abidin in my attic hotel room
and the Seine flows on both sides of Notre Dame
from my window at night I see the Seine as a sliver of moonlight
  on the wharf of the stars
and a young woman sleeps in my attic room
mixed with the chimneys of the Paris roofs
she hasn’t slept so soundly in years
her straw—blond hair curled her blue eyelashes like clouds on her face
with Abidin I discuss the space and shape of the atom’s seed
we speak of Rumi whirling in space
Abidin paints the colors of unlimited speed
I eat up the colors like fruit
and Matisse is a fruitpeddler he sells the fruits of the cosmos
like our Abidin and Avni and Levni
and the spaces shapes and colors seen by microscopes and rocket
  portholes
and their poets painters and musicians
in the space of one—fifty by sixty Abidin paints the surge forward
    the way I can see and catch fish in water that’s how I see and
    catch the bright moments flowing on Abidin’s canvas
and the Seine is like a sliver of moonlight
a young woman sleeps in a sliver of moonlight
how many times have I lost her how many times have I found
  her and how many more times will I lose her and find her
that’s the way it is girl that’s how it is I dropped part of my life
  into the Seine from St. Michel Bridge
one morning in drizzling light that part will catch Monsieur Dupont’s
  fishline
Monsieur Dupont will pull it out of the water along with the blue
    picture of Paris he won’t make anything of my life it won’t be
    like a fish or a shoe
Monsieur Dupont will throw it back along with the blue picture of Paris
the picture will stay where it was
the part of my life will flow with the Seine into the great cemetery
  of rivers
I woke to the rustle of blood in my veins
my fingers weightless
my Fingers and toes about to snap off take to the air and circle
  lazily overhead
no right and left or up and down
I should ask Abidin to paint the student shot in Beyazit Square
    and comrade Gagarin and comrade Titov whose name fame
    or face I don’t know yet and those to come after him and the
    young woman asleep in the attic
I got back from Cuba this morning
in the space that is Cuba six million people whites blacks yellows
   mulattoes are planting a bright seed the seed of seeds joyously
can you paint happiness Abidin
but without taking the easy way out
not the angel-faced mother nursing her rosy—cheeked baby
nor the apples on white cloth
nor the goldfish darting among aquarium bubbles
can you paint happiness Abidin
can you paint Cuba in midsummer  1961
master can you paint Praise be praise be I saw the day I could die now
      and not be sorry
can you paint What a pity what a pity I could have been born in
      Havana this morning
I saw a hand 150 kilometers east of Havana close to the sea
I saw a hand on a wall
the wall was an open song
the hand caressed the wall
the hand was six months old and stroked its mother’s neck
the hand was seventeen years old and caressed Maria’s breasts
its palm was calloused and smelled of the Caribbean
it was twenty and stroked the neck of its six—month-old son
the hand was twenty—five and had forgotten how to caress
the hand was thirty and I saw it on a wall near the sea  150
    kilometers east of Havana caressing a wall
you draw hands Abidin those of our laborers and ironworkers
   draw with charcoal the hand of the Cuban fisherman Nicolas
who on the wall of the shiny house he got from the cooperative
   rediscovered caressing and won’t forget it again
a big hand
a sea turtle of a hand
a hand that didn’t believe it could caress an open wall
a hand that now believes in all joys
a sunny salty sacred hand
the hand of hopes that sprout green and sweeten with the speed
     of sugar cane in earth fertile as Fidel’s words
one of the hands in Cuba in 1961 that plant houses like colorful
     cool trees and trees like very comfortable houses
one of the hands preparing to pour steel 
the hand that makes songs of machine guns and machine guns
     of songs
the hand of freedom without lies
the hand Fidel shook
the hand that writes the word freedom with the first pencil and
    paper of its life 
when they say the word freedom the Cubans’ mouths water
as if they were slicing a honey of a melon 
and the men’s eyes gleam
and the girls melt when their lips touch the word freedom
and the old people draw from the well their sweetest memories
      and slowly sip them
can you paint happiness Abidin
can you paint freedom the kind without lies
night is falling in Paris
Notre Dame lit up like an orange lamp and went out
and in Paris all the stones old and new lit up like orange lamps 
  and went out
I think of our crafts the business of poetry painting music and so on
I think and I know
a great river flows from the time the first human hand drew the 
  first bison in the first cave
then all streams run into it with their new fish new water—grasses
   new tastes and it alone flows endlessly and never dries up
I’ve heard there’s a chestnut tree in Paris
the first of the Paris chestnuts the granddaddy of them all
it came from Istanbul the hills of the Bosporus and settled in Paris
I don’t know if it’s still standing it would be about two hundred
   years old
I wish I could go shake its hand
I wish we could go lie in its shade the people who make the
   paper for this book who set its type who print its drawings
   those who sell this book in their stores who pay money and
   buy it who buy it and look at it and Abidin and me too plus
   the straw—blond trouble of my life
                                                                                                                            1961
(Translated by Randy Blasing & Mutlu Konuk)

                                                                                NOTES
Abidin: Abidin Dino, a famous Turkish painter.

Sait Faik: A Turkish writer mainly famous for his short stories

Avni: another famous Turkish painter (Avni Arbaş)

Levni: Ottoman miniaturist
Vera Tulyakova: lover of Nazim Hikmet, a blondie of course

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder